What is the Saving Lives Campaign?
The Saving Lives Campaign is a joint initiative of the U.S. National Network on Cuba and the Canadian Network on Cuba, intended to to facilitate collaboration between the U.S., Cuba and Canada in fighting the COVID-19 virus. The campaign calls for three things:
1. Allowing U.S.-Cuba-Canada medical, clinical and scientific collaboration, including inviting Cuban medical brigades to provide direct medical assistance and/or to provide advice and guidance in treating COVID-19.
2. Incorporating Cuba’s Interferon Alfa 2B Recombinant in clinical trials in the U.S., Canada and the WHO, and the granting by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for Cuba’s Interferon Alfa 2B Recombinant.
3. Ending U.S. economic and travel sanctions against Cuba, including its extraterritorial nature and the attempts to stop all other countries accepting Cuban medical brigades and assistance, and all ongoing measures that prevent Cuba accessing and importing medical equipment and medicines to confront COVID-19.
Seattle support for the Saving Lives Campaign:
* On July 1 we hosted a zoom webinar titled “Confronting the COVID-19 pandemic, Cuba shows the way!”, attended by 78 participants who learned about Cuba’s successful effort to restrict spread of the virus, and were introduced to the national Saving Lives Campaign.
* On Sept. 16 we co-sponsored a zoom webinar with the Seattle branch of Physicians for a National Health Program, titled “The Saving Lives Campaign - Cuba and the COVID-19 Pandemic.” You can watch a video of the webinar here:
* As a result of our lobbying efforts, the MLK Labor Council (King County) recently endorsed the Saving Lives Campaign. We are currently encouraging the Washington State Labor Council and Seattle City Council to adopt similar resolutions endorsing the campaign.
How you can get involved in the Saving Lives Campaign:
* Learn more about it on the Saving Lives Campaign website:
* Write letters to Seattle City Council members asking them to vote for the resolution which endorses the Saving Lives Campaign.
Map: Medical Brigades From Cuba That Have Assisted The Fight Vs Covid-19 Overseas
Seattle Cuba Friendship Committee: